Re: Was: Where's the disc - now Growing Solo

To: "Don Kline" <solo2dmmr2@hotmail.com>, <dave2020@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: Was: Where's the disc - now Growing Solo
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 07:29:40 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Don Kline <solo2dmmr2@hotmail.com>
To: dave2020@mindspring.com <dave2020@mindspring.com>; autox@autox.team.net
<autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 1:59 PM

>Dave said:
>It sounds silly now, looking back, but at the time that I started
>in this sport the lack of clear rules was quite intimidating.  After my
>first event I saw that it was no big deal, but actually getting to that
>first event was a huge step into the unknown.
>>Dave Hardy
>>89 SM

Don Kline answered.
>Not having the rules "available" to anyone who wants to see them I don't
>feel is a problem keeping people from the sport.  If a person walks down
the
>street and sees 2 people playing basketball will they not join in because
>they've not read the rules??
>It is the __responsibility__ of those of us that
>have been in the sport for a while to guide the new person at an event, and
>help them realize that there are rules and how they can best use the rules,
>and conform to the rules.

All that's true, but there is a self-interest to letting folks know the
score first.  One of the biggest points of hassle at an event is that
entrants show up clueless.  Worker time is at a premium.  The more people
can be educated before they show up at an event, the more smoothly that
first time goes for both new entrant and for everybody else.  I think all
clubs should view their rules as public information and not a cash cow.
It's just good business sense.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org