Re: Acceptable finish designs, and starts, too

To: rjohnson@ghg.net
Subject: Re: Acceptable finish designs, and starts, too
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 10:14:17 EST
In a message dated 12/19/01 5:21:12 AM Central Standard Time,
rjohnson@ghg.net writes:

> Agreed - and also a point that Kevin Youngers enlightened me of is that the
> "tight maneuver" does not necessarily need to be before the lights.  Just
> after the lights has much the same effect  - as long as your distance from
> staging to lights is not a long distance  (say 100+ feet).

If the tight turn is located before the start lights it tends to have has
less impact on a competitors run time.

When the turn is located after the start lights it tends to separate the
newbies from the Pro's right off the bat; the newbies usually try to go too
fast or too slow and the clock is ticking .... it also doesn't stop some
wannabe in a Z06 or Viper from dropping the clutch at 6500 rpm sitting
stationary for 10 seconds with the tires smoking away.

I always prefer the turn be located before the lights like we usually see at
Nat's the last several years.  It prevents the drag style launch, yet still
allows you a moment to compose yourself and get on-line before hitting the
start beam.  Seems like a more professional way to design a course to me.

Mark