Re: Acceptable finish designs, and starts, too

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: Acceptable finish designs, and starts, too
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 08:54:49 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Mark J. Andy wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Kevin Stevens wrote:
> > > On the other end of things, I like to put in a good stiff move before the
> > > timing-start line.  This eliminates the need to launch the car like you
>were
> > > at a drag race.  I realize this is part of the game at Pro Solo events,
>but
> > > it would not break my heart if I never saw one again at a regular
>autocross.
> > > The other upside to the tight move before the timing-start line is that it
> > > takes away all all the worry about precision staging at the marshaling
>line.
> >
> > As a competitor and regular starter, I agree emphatically.
>
> Boy, not me.  I don't mind a manuver outta the gate, but I definately
> don't like the "boy I'm sure glad I'm in a miata" type stuff I saw at a
> lot of the autoxes I was at out west.  IMHO all that really does is toss
> an advantage to small narrow cars and most of the good drivers are still
> lighting 'em up anyway.  In addition, it leads to reasonably mickey mouse
> cone hits on the start pivot cone which means the starter has to leave his
> post, etc.  A course in particular that had this problem last year was the
> NorPac divisional I ran at Mather.  I can't remember which day it was, but
> there was a start that in a C4 I was happy to fit through, never mind
> trying to go fast.
>
> Personally, I'd rather have a little straighter start.
>
> Mark

If the design is such that some cars can start straight and others can't,
that's a problem.  If it's such that people start fiddling around with
backing and filling at the start line, that's a problem too.  Those are
bad start designs.

Beyond that, I don't want to have to use dragstrip skills and procedures
on an autocross course.  I especially don't want to have to do it at
local/regional events where I may be taking lots of runs for very little
Fame and Glory.  I don't want to burn up the tires, and I especially don't
want to burn up the clutch.

For those who will say "it's your choice, you don't HAVE to leave the line
hard", here's my response:  "Yes I do."

There can be a huge difference in time between leaving the line really
hard and just rolling out.  It obviously depends on the specific course
design, but several tenths is not at all unusual.  I can't leave several
tenths on the table and be competitive.  I can't leave those tenths there
and do reasonable assessment of my performance on the rest of the run.  If
the start permits a drag start, it REQUIRES a drag start to be actively
participating in the event.

Drag starts have a disproportionate effect on the outcome of an event.
The production of this effect incurs a disproportionate degree of wear on
the car.  The execution of a successful drag start involves skills that
have nothing to do with any other component of autocross driving, and
nothing to do with the stated purpose of Solo II.

Just to be clear, I don't like drag starts.  ;)

KeS