Re: Acceptable finish designs

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Acceptable finish designs
From: Mike Smith <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 22:35:40 -0500
As a previous timing and scoring guy, I can attest to the after effects of
putting whoop-de-doos right before, or right after the timing lights... It
usually means some light repair of the lights and/or cabling....

On paper: Yes, it's allowed and legal, and acceptable.

The reality: Here's where human nature kicks in and says NOBODY is willing
to give it up right at the finish. I don't care HOW tight you make it,
there will be some who try to take it floored anyway.

I have found that if you put the whoop-de-doo just far enough away from the
lights to prevent them from getting their speed back, and make the finish
straight, it's better for anyone involved.

To those who think this is a matter of learning how to drive, I would
suggest that, if everyone knew how to drive, there wouldn't be much of a
need for an amateur racing series called Solo. We'd ALL be on FOXCAR or
NASSPEED.... <grin>

Mike