Re: Acceptable finish designs

To: "Team. Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Acceptable finish designs
From: Roger Johnson <rjohnson@ghg.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:13:21 -0600
O.K. - I'll put my 2 cents in now...  8^)
Sorry for the late reply - I am on digest.

I strongly believe that 80%+ of all competitors will "Floor It" in the last
100 feet of the course regardless of the course design.  I don't think most
of us are consciously thinking "It's the finish - Floor it".  Perhaps more
accurately "this is my last chance to make some time".

So if you look at my Nationals/Tour/Div designs you will notice the last
100' are ALWAYS a straight.  I then allow 200' of stop box.  Of course,
this is not always possible, (thinking northeast U.S. postage stamp size
lots), but I always try to find a way.  This allows every competitor to
floor it at the finish which is *always* a satisfying feeling.

Because of this tendency to floor it, it is also my belief that it is
unwise to put a tight maneuver at the finish.  Besides being
anti-climactic, it encourages course destruction at the finish line, when
the competitor floors it anyway.  Meaning corner workers running through
lights, timing lights getting hit, and a host of other problems.

Any comments or thoughts?

Roger H. Johnson  - Houston
Home of the Criminally Insane
rjohnson@ghg.net