Re: "P" rules

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "P" rules
From: Mike Smith <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 23:42:01 -0500
At 11:15 PM 12/16/2001 Sunday, you wrote:
>Eric, as Rocky intimates, the Solo rule book took a divergent path from
>the GCR several years ago.  Some felt that Solo could stand on it's own
>and didn't need to be a step child of road race and didn't care if the
>road race guys were mostly no longer competitive with their more
>restrictive engine modifications.  So the rules moved away from one
>another.  It's like I told everyone at the last "P" meeting at Topeka,
>I'll care about the road race guys being competitive when they allow me to
>run my car in their class, as is.  It won't happen.
>
>Jim McKamey has expressed to me that he thinks that the rules say "up to"
>and not GCR completely legal.  While I think they say as you fear, one way
>all the way or no way.  Which is how Rocky sees it too.  You can't be half
>GCR legal and be GCR legal.

Since SCCA does things in order of listing what is permitted, and then
saying that which isn't listed, is prohibited, it's not a matter of being
half-legal, but being half-prepped.

If there's something that the GCR permits, but would hurt your Solo effort,
you don't HAVE to do it. You can NOT do it, and still be GCR legal.

Just because GT-1 has a limit on how wide your car can be, doesn't mean you
have to make it that wide. In fact, since it says nothing about how narrow
it can be, you're free to make it as narrow as you might wish, as long you
don't run afoul of any of the other rules you're following.

Mike