Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:04:57 -0500
Well, I *do* think the SEB, over the years, lost the handle on SP. But that
was then, this is now. SP was a viable concept when it was born and it
remains so today, even though that concept has changed (evolved?)
considerably. SP ain't broke, it just fails to provide that natural
progression from Stock to Prepared. I think it can fairly be said ... so
what?

Those who have gone  Stock > SP and then want to go to P will likely have to
undo a few things they put on the car. Maybe they will have to put those old
carbs back on. So what? If they decide to make the SP > P leap, there is a
TON of stuff they will have to do/undo even if the rules were strictly
progressive. Just think of all that interior they get to rip out! Full-race
cage they get to put in. Doo dah, doo dah.

I do agree that ST is what SP should have been. As you noted, the two camps
have opposing goals. Both goals are reasonable progressions, just different.
Neither is wrong. Both have sufficient proponents to make viable classes.
Neither needs a major fix. There needs to be no attempt to do so.

As for the subgroup you noted -- that group exists everywhere. Always there
is "Hey, I can make my car faster if I am allowed to..." and he has the $$$$
to do it so wants the rules changed to allow it. Those of us who do not have
the same budget, or who would rather spend the money we DO have on stuff not
done yet, oppose him. Such proposals are merely ways to spend money. If he
stays with his old setup, he has the same old setup the rest of us have
(presumably), and so if he wants to make his car faster he is challenged to
drive better. Otherwise, he just forces us all to spend the same money and,
guess what, he is no faster relatively speaking than he was before. Oh, he
found a second, but so did his class leader who went out and spent the same
money (and maybe spent it smarter).

I think "SP-lite" = ST. It's already done, but perhaps smarter.

I don't like the idea of SP cars being put into P because:
1. There is already a place for SP cars: SP
2. It adds another ruleset to a category that already is confused with 3-4
different rulesets.
3. It is just not needed.

--Rocky