RE: [evolution-disc.] Clutch replacement in Stock class.

To: Andy Hollis <awhollis@swbell.net>
Subject: RE: [evolution-disc.] Clutch replacement in Stock class.
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 13:49:09 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Andy Hollis wrote:

> Since there is no specific extra allowance under the Stock category rules,
> you must use either OEM standard parts, or aftermarket with the same specs.
> That includes the friction material.  Anything that can be considered higher
> performance (and longevity is one measure of performance) is strictly
> prohibited.
>
> Also, be careful in using alternate clutches that are sold for heavy duty
> applications by the original vehicle manufacturers themselves.  For example,
> Honda lists heavy duty clutches for most civics and crxs, but these are not
> allowed since the original spec clutch is also available and is spec'd as
> standard for the vehicle.
>
> I always just use the factory pieces for peace of mind.  They work well and
> there are no questions.

Thanks!  This was more about me not understanding clutches than the rules.
I knew a pressure plate wouldn't be okay, but just didn't know enough
about how the friction plate worked to know if it would fall under the
"equivalent parts" clause.

> Something else to look for is parts # superceeding for OEM parts.  If the
> part has been superceded, the new one is generally better, but not always.
> For example, the latest OEM clutch specified for my 92 Miata was 1 pound
> lighter than the original.  Gotta love it!  But when I used to run my 93 MX6
> 4 cyl, the clutch had been superceded by one that was one pound heavier!
> Needles to say, on the MX6 I replaced the disk only and lived with the
> original (lighter) pressure plate even though it was well worn.
>
> --Andy

Good tips.

> PS: Please don't cross-post to that other list.  It gets really noisy when
> folks hit reply-all and its just bad netiquette.  Better to send seperate
> copies to each list.

Sorry, I disagree.  The topic falls under the charter of both lists, and I
choose to discourage the splintering that has occurred between them.
(shrug)

KeS