Re: Definition of a Sports Car

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Definition of a Sports Car
From: Mr53CSP@aol.com
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:20:08 EDT
I forgot to add...I don't have a sports car. Never did.

I had a GT Car (88 Supra) though! That's a WHOLE different catagory...

GT Cars in my eyes:
RWD, Heavier than 3000lbs =), seats 2 comfortably, seats 4 when you're in
desperate need, typically uncompetitive at autocrossing but deadly at road
races (read: Supra, 300zx, Viper, Shelby Cobras).

Disclaimer: Typically uncompetitive means, with an average or even a pretty
good driver, they are still not beating some of the more well-known FAST
(excluding Mod classes) cars (ie. M3, 1G CRX, Miatas, etc). If you happen to
have one of those typically uncompetitive cars and are doing exceptionally well
in your region...great! But, the still remains typically uncompetitive...you
just are a kick butt driver.

>> I agree 100%. I think by 'insanely fun' you mean "good handling
 characteristics" separating the drag racers from the sports cars. I think a
 couple of muscle cars would even fit that description (Javelin, maybe?). Rear
 wheel drive is important for the definition, but engine location isn't. A
 CRX, although Sporty, is not a sports car. The only problem with that
 definition is that Porsche's (with that little back seat) wouldn't be
 considered sports cars. (They used to claim that sports cars are all they
 make, but now that they're making an SUV, I guess they can't make that claim
 anymore!) Throw in the word "convertible" and you've started defining the
 word Roadster. JK.

 Jonathan Kniskern
 nmiata@aol.com
 wheelerdealerUSA@netscape.com
 '90 Silver CSP Miata
 '99 Silver Sport Miata
 True Sports Cars (and arguably, Roadsters!)<<