Re: P1800s

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: P1800s
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:17:12 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>

> Oddly the P1800 wasn't actually built by Volvo but rather by Jensen in
England using Volvo engines and a few other Volvo bits. They even had Lucas
electrics! Must be pretty stout cars though, I've read of a couple topping
the 3/4 million mile mark.

True of the early P1800s -- IIRC, the build quality at Jensen was so poor
that Volvo moved production in-house after a couple of years.  I've seen
pictures of P1800 coupes road-racing, but like most Volvos, they're pretty
heavy.  Another piece of P1800 trivia:  Roger Moore was supposed to drive an
E-Type in The Saint, but Jaguar refused to supply one -- Volvo was more than
happy to step into the gap, and Simon Templar ended up paired with a P1800.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr