Re: Town names

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Town names
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:06:40 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>

> I just figured anyplace named "Cow Town" must be near Fresno.  ;)
>
> Ever notice the California notion that things sound better in Spanish??
We have
> such lyrical town names as Arroyo Seca (Dry Gulch), El Sobrante (The
Leftovers),
> and Manteca (Lard)...

True of most languages not your own -- I'm not sure I want a translation of
the Indian names attached to half the places I've lived!  And in spite of
living for some time in a town called "Schaumburg," and actually visiting
the area in Germany from which it took its name, I've never figured out the
origin of "Foam Castle...."

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing