Re: Pre-'75 car choices

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>,
Subject: Re: Pre-'75 car choices
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 17:34:45 -0600
From: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>

>How early did VW start making the water pumper cars like Rabbits and
>Sciroccos?

1975.  I bought one of the first Rabbit Custom cars in the state.  There
were three lines of Rabbit:  Basic, Custom, Deluxe.  The Deluxe sucked
because it had no lap belt, just a knee pad and a shoulder belt.  The valves
in the first cars were lousy, and mine was rebuilt under warranty.  I hardly
got it back and it was totaled by a '68 Mercury.  Oddly enough, I replaced
it with a new Chevy pickup.  The trim line was the most basic, and carried
the name "Custom Deluxe".

How about an old VW Squareback?  ;^)

In the early weeks of my Rabbit's incarceration for the valve problem, they
loaned me a Squareback.  Drove it to Duluth to go to an ice race.  On the
way home, there were some serious cross-winds.  White-knuckle trip.  I
pounded on the table at the dealer until they gave me a new Rabbit to drive.

>I saw one for sale on
>Ebay today.  Air cooled VWs are cool and can make decent power for their
>car's weight.

An Acquired Taste.  I always hated them.  Noisy and finicky.  Some folks
love them.

>How about a Karmen Ghia?

Karmann Ghia or "Common Gear", as Dick O'Kane used to say.  More handmade
than the beetle, in the Karmann factory according to a design by Ghia.  The
body seams were leaded in.  The car was built more solid.   As a result, the
car seemed more of a fine car, but acceleration was somewhat more leisurely
than the beetle.  Then again, the smaller frontal area, better streamlining
and lower center-of-mass did help performance a bit.  I used to go with a
girl who had one called "Froggy".  Why, I don't know, since it was not
green, but mustard yellow.  When I autocrossed it, it lifted the inside
front wheel.  Joanne used to say that I made Froggy think he was a Porsche.
She used to slap my hand if I shifted too soon on the street.  Said I had to
keep the revs up to keep the valves from burning.  I prefer water-cooling,
even though I had a couple of Corvairs in my time.   Jerry Coffin, the
proprietor of JAC auto, in Ramsey Minnesota, has a rare-in-the-USA 1500
Karmann Ghia.  The body work is different.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.