RE: Demographics Now

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, "Navid Kahangi" <nkahangi@interwoven.com>
Subject: RE: Demographics Now
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@Winchell.Com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 10:16:15 -0800
>People get hooked on motorsports by autocrossing their daily
>drivers.  A fair number of them get involved with road racing shortly after
>that.  To make a car safe and competitive on a race track, you have to
>make modifications to your car that easily put it over the SP limits
>(changing your brake rotors for example).

I came around to using different pads and rotors for Solo II vs Solo I.
And apparently a full welded in roll cage will be allowed in Stock and SP
next year.

But when I looked at the SCCA's road racing classes, there was not a
good fit for the bigger late model SP cars to move into roadracing. AS
wasn't available to me (e.g. starting with carburetors and pushrods and
moving onto smaller brakes, probably computer chips, etc). I've heard
(though not investigated) that the IT classes aren't viable SP performers.

OTOH, the less focused your interests in one sport or the other, I imagine
you'd have a much easier time coming up with a single compromise car.