Re: rev limiter?

To: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: rev limiter?
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:24:00 -0500
jac73@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
> Shift light:  The idiot-light version of a tachometer.  It simply
> lights up at a pre-selected RPM, indicating the selected RPM has
> been reached.

Agreed, provided engine RPM is the *only* input.  One could
envision a much more complex circuit that took other things into
account.  One could even envision a device that reminds a driver
not only of when to shift, but what to be looking ahead for, etc.
Where's the line?

> But again, the rules *as currently written* permit the addition of
> a tachometer and/or shift light.

I agree (for the conventional definition of shift light).  I also
agree that rev limiters are clearly illegal in Stock Category.

> Taking this additional-input-to-driver restriction to extremes,
> how 'bout "Tommy Stock" - driver must be blindfolded and use
> active noise cancellation earphones to prevent any visual and
> aural feedback...

As in, "Tommy Saunders has to drive blindfolded"?  Okay!

Taking your jest slightly more seriously than it was intended,
that's a bit different than the shift light issue.  People aren't
modifying their cars so that they can hear them better, but they
might be modifying them so that they can know when to shift.

Shift lights and aftermarket tachometers improve the autocross
performance of the car/driver package, and thus should not be legal
in Stock Category.  I'll be writing a letter.

Out of curiosity, how many people out there have aftermarket
tachs and/or shift lights in Stock?

Mark