Re: STS Tires - best way!!!

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>, <streettouring@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: STS Tires - best way!!!
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 23:01:47 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Berryhill <brianberryhill@flashmail.com>

> I think using one tire is crazy.  I know some cars prefer different tires
> than others.  This is all dependent on suspension, balance, weight, etc...
> stiff sidewall might be good for one car, but bad for another.  Using a
spec
> tire would take away this selectability, and would show *favortism*
towards
> some cars.
>
> One from each manufacturer is a slightly better idea.  But, I still uphold
> having an inclusion list of tires that are legal.  If the tire isn't on
the
> list, too bad.  This makes a lot more people happy and is just as
> enforceable as having a spec tire.

As soon as more than one manufacturer is on the list, it's useless -- this
is the same situation that existed in the stock classes 15 years ago.  A
spec tire, or a list of tires from one manufacturer, removes the incentive
to cheat.

> I assume the reason for buying tires from the Tire Rack
> would be to certify that the tires are legal, and not V700 rubber in 712
> molds because of a guy that knows a guy at the plant where the tires are
> made and can do that for a small under-the-table fee.

That's it -- a viable alternative to a spec tire is a trusted source for
tires.  And even then, there has to be some means of insuring that no one
can switch tires, which makes this solution more complex.

Your points on limits are all good -- but those same arguements can be
applied to any set of rules.  Why are there limits on wheel width?  LSDs?
And on and on.

> The answer:  A tire inclusion list.

Tried before, failed.  We can try and fail again, and hope particpation
numbers don't go into the basement, but not taking advantage of experience
will be painful.  It's sad, but people *do* cheat, and often for less
incentive than you'd think.  While there's only 25 or so people running ST
at Nationals, an inclusion list *might* work, if everyone knows each other
well -- will it work as new, unknown drivers start showing up?  As the group
expands to 40? 60?  Something to consider.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr