RE: M3 in F-stock

To: "'Todd Green'" <tag@cs.utah.edu>,
Subject: RE: M3 in F-stock
From: "Dunlap, Peter" <Peter.Dunlap@Surgient.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:16:53 -0600

|-----Original Message-----

You're right.  I should have looked these up.  To make the story
hang together better, let's say the M3 was using Hoosier tires
while it was in SS.  :-)

|>September 2004
|>--------------
|>Bob's M3 wins Nationals by a convincing 1.5 seconds,
|defeating the previous
|>year's F-stock national champion.
|
|Bob won 2000 Nats by 1.066 seconds, not 1.5 seconds.

OK, for the rest of the story -- if all the times matched exactly
then it wouldn't be a very good story, would it?  I mean, you would
always know what was going to happen next!

|I don't remember anyone questioning Mark's driving ability.  (Of course
|I only skim team.net, mostly because it consits of posts like yours.)

When someone says the M3 is not misclassed, and that Bob is just a better
driver than Mark, how is that not questioning his ability?  It is possible
to admit that someone is a good driver and still be questioning their
ability.

|By your logic, we should have the E30 and E46 M3 in ESP since the
|"M3" is there.  We thank you for suggesting that the E46 M3 belongs in
|ESP. That'll solve the pesky problem of the E36 M3 "dominating" cuz the
|top drivers will move to the E46. ;) ;) ;)

I don't think anyone can argue with a straight face that the E46 M3 is a
good match for ESP, but it certainly doesn't make sense to have M3's
scattered all over the classes (lightweight in ASP, E36 in ESP, E46 maybe
in BSP?).

Here's a suggestion, and I'm serious.  How about putting all the M3's in
BSP, maybe putting certain models on the same line (hell, put them all on
the same line if it gets them out of ESP).  Based on how close Bob was to
BSP times, I would think with the additional capability to update/backdate
to the lightweight (would this help?) or use the E46 engine (I know that
would help!) it would be very competitive.  In fact, I would hate to be a
Corvette owner then!

I drove an M3 this weekend at an autocross for a fun run.  Man, what a
sweet car, and this one was bone stock on street tires, with stock shocks.
Todd, have you driven a Mustang or Camaro at an autocross?  Do you have
any first hand experience with the types of cars the M3 is supposed to be
equivelant to?  I say there is no comparison.

-Peter