Re: GS BMWs - Which is best?

To: "Chuck Hanson" <hanson@swcp.com>,
Subject: Re: GS BMWs - Which is best?
From: "Boris Elpiner" <boriselp@altavista.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:36:33 -0700
> At 12:47 PM 9/19/00 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >With Neal Sapp's nationals performance in a 325is, and with the E30 M3
going
> >to the new equivalent of GS next year, I was wondering which BMW might be
> >the best bet in this class next year.  What do y'all think?
> >

> >E36 325is:  Good torque.  Optional LSD.
>
> Be very careful here.  I was looking into buying one of these cars and was
> told by a BMW technical guy that the traction control and limited slip
> options were mutually exclusive on these cars.  Period.  Every car I found
> locally had traction control so I opted for a scruffy old Porsche instead.
> ;-)  I don't know what year the traction control became standard, but I
was
> told that's when the LSD went away for good (except the M3 of course).

This is a good point. LSD and TC were mutually exclusive options on 1992 -
1995 325i/s cars. 1995 is the last year of 325 and the only year when LSD
and 16" wheels were available, The LSD went away with the introduction of
328 in 1996.

Boris Elpiner
1994 325is (my 1st autox car, long gone but still remembered)