RE: Midwest Fuel/Nationals

To: elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org, conekiller@prodigy.net,
Subject: RE: Midwest Fuel/Nationals
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:23:59 GMT
"Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org> wrote:

>Sadly enough, Topekas version of Amoco Premium is only 91
>octane, but at least it's not that ground water polluting,
>cancer causing, makes-your-car-run-like-crap reformulated
>stuff.

Many moons ago, I left my sea level lair on the east coast,
and headed off to Nevada to compete in the Nevada Open Road
Challenge.  Along the way, I noticed that the fuel octane
at the service station pumps dropped as the altitude
increased.  The race course, Nevada highway 318, is roughly
at 5500-6500 feet above sea level.

When I got to the event, one of the regulars told me that
I should dump out the 15 gallons of 93 octane fuel that
I lugged across the country, and instead run with the
local super unleaded.  Why?  At altitude, higher octane
fuel doesn't burn as hot.  I think that I recall him
saying that his Mustang was like 10-20 MPH slower running
flat-out on the higher octane fuel.  It isn't a matter of
timing advance, but rather energy released in the explosion.

Anyway, my sources say that Forbes Field is 320 meters above
sea level.  I don't believe that altitude will play a big
role in whether 93 octane fuel is too hot for a stock-class
car, but it's something that you might want to keep in
mind.  Personally, I'm packing 5 gallons of fuel from
home, since air density is no problem in my car anyway.
Driver density IS a problem, though..... :-(

-Arthur ("TerraTrip-indicated 151 MPH in a Volkswagen" edition.)

http://profiles.msn.com.