Re: Autocross results software

To: dave@wcsllc.net
Subject: Re: Autocross results software
From: Lloyd.Wilson@Alcan.Com
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:24:05 -0500 (CDT)
--Boundary_(ID_5CGNj+YY9dKOgdbKR1u+Ow)

Just to expand upon Dave's comments - not only does it take a certain adept
computer operator but also the rest of the timing crew.  They all have to work
together.  This is not something new but I believe more critical with a
computer based timing system.  It only takes "one bad egg" to make everyone
else's job that much more difficult.  Some people in timing can get side
tracked very easily and forget their main responsibility is timing and not
helping other people with questions.

Again, this is not new for timing events but it takes a talented crew in timing
to make the "new" computer system work well.

I sometimes wonder if all the headaches from registration, car
numbering/classing, computer (equipment, training, set up and operating) and
audit are really worth it for small club or regional events.  Maybe KISS (keep
it simple stupid) is more realistic for local events.  But then again you have
to give it the "old college" try to see if something is worth it.

Lloyd Wilson - TS99 computer operator in training

>>> Like I said
before, it takes a certain personality to do this job, and not everybody can
do it.  We have had people who could run a "manual" timing system by
themselves, but can't keep up with the computer!  I don't see it a insult if
someone can't do it, we just find another job.  It will take a while to get
a fell for the people involved.<<<

--Boundary_(ID_5CGNj+YY9dKOgdbKR1u+Ow)--