Re: (insert location) Shock Access for (insert car)

To: ottocrosser@hotmail.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: (insert location) Shock Access for (insert car)
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:20:07 GMT
"Otto Crosser" <ottocrosser@hotmail.com> wrote:

>So can somebody please explain in great detail why these
>holes are such a performance advantage?

Simple.  Because they allow for an adjustment that was
not provided for by the factory.  Huh???  There are
cars where bottom-adjusting shocks are the only option.
Picture having to jack up your car, pull the wheels, and
then make your damper adjustments.  NASCAR pit crew not
an issue, how long will it take to make a shock adjustment?
Are you going to do it on the stage line???  No way!

OK, now let's look at a car with a removable trim piece on
top of the shocks, like the rear of the Eclipse/Talon.  To
adjust the rear shocks from the top requires removing/installing
4 screws. With an electric screw gun, I bet you could get it
down to under 2 minutes.  Could you make an adjustment
this way on the stage line???  Possibly, if you're quick.
Would you think twice about doing it???  Probably.

Finally, let's look at a car like the Probe/MX-6 (or Neon?),
where somebody drilled holes to get at the shock adjusters.
What's it gonna take to change the shocks, 5 seconds each???
Can anyone make that adjustment on the stage line???  Without
a doubt.  I've seen it done.

So, what's the big deal???  It's about sportsmanship.  If
the bottom-adjusting drivers cannot make quick adjustments,
nor can they make a way to make quick adjustments, then
why should the cars where simply drilling a hole makes it
possible be allowed to do it???  At the regional level,
this is not a big deal.  At national events, and ProSolo
in particular, there are two-driver cars that are almost
constantly in the staging lines.  It's an unfair competitive
advantage to expedite adjustments.

When shopping for a new car, make sure to buy one with clear
access to wherever the shock adjusters will be going.  Otherwise,
don't think that you can make your own access and get away with
it.  If you go the tweeter route, at least you're carrying
around some dead weight, along with the guilt of knowing
that you're pushing "serves no other purpose" to the limits.

Just the opinion of somebody that has a car where top-adjust
shocks are the only option, and getting to the top of the rear
shocks requires removing the plastic fender liners and/or rear
bumper skin. :-(   Use the quick adjustment if you are
driving a car that allows for it from the factory.  Just
don't go making your own, because there are people that
can't do it.....

-Arthur ("Tweeters never win"  edition.)