Solo III

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Solo III
From: Chris Shepard <maverick@purplemtn.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:24:46 -0600
This is a revival of the topic "Solo participation too high"
that died some time ago, but (hopefully) not a rehashing of
the same issues.

I attended a meeting of the CDR (RMDIV) region a few weeks
ago and was surprised to hear that a fellow there actually
_liked_ the huge events.  He was into competition.  More cars/
drivers to beat was a big thing for him.  Quite an eye-opener
for me, somebody who just likes the sport for the sake of the
sport and doesn't _really_ care who wins.

That encounter set me to thinking about the two very different
mindsets involved, and how it's practically counterproductive
to have Mr. Competitor and Mr. Purekicks running in the same
event.  I'm just "points fodder" for him, and his blood-lust
attitude, to a certain extent, takes some of the fun out of
it for me.

So here's my proposal.  I'm sure there's a zillion gotchas
I haven't considered, so please be gentle...  :)

Solo III would be the same as Solo II with the following
exceptions:

1 - Solo III wouldn't be points events.  The computer wouldn't
even have to bother PAXing times.  No trophies given, no
season-long standings.  Pick up the cones, go home, forget
that it ever happened (officially).

2 - The Solo II regs require, I believe, that course designers
limit speeds to 70 mph. Solo III could drop that to 50 mph, and
hopefully see a drop in insurance costs.

3 - The slower speeds would increase the number of viable
(read: physically smaller) sites to choose from.

4 - Solo III would be a place where the SCCA admin could
"play with" the classing structure (and any other sorts of
rules/regs) without anybody getting bent out of shape, a la
"try it in Solo III for a year (or one event?) and see how
it works before making it official in Solo II".

I guess what I've suggested here is a day of fun runs on
pretty tight courses, where you pick up any "test rules" when
you register.  Or something like a driver's school without
official instructors.

Other people have suggested that the SCCA put on more events
to help alleviate high attendance, and this proposal also
implies more events, but adds a "less attractive" feature
to both Solo II and Solo III for drivers with different mindsets.
If there's a Solo III on Saturday, I'll be there to "get my
fix", but may then forego Sunday and it's registration of 150+
truly competitive drivers.  Those same competitors will see
Saturday as "pure seat time on a nasty little course" and
perhaps not bother running with "us little guys".

Other possible differences between Solo III and Solo II:

1 - No racing tires (slicks) allowed in Solo III.  This would
really help level out the playing field for us "economically-
challenged" types, and further "disinterest" competitive types.

2 - SCCA membership required for Solo II.  If they're
looking for regional/divisional standings, and headed for
Nats, that's not too much to ask, and it'll keep most of
the first-timers out of their hair...make their events
run smoother.

3 - Make Solo III a tad cheaper than Solo II, maybe a $5
difference, or whatever savings it might enjoy from the
reduced insurance and/or cheaper rent for smaller lots.

Maybe "long days" could even be split into Solo II in the
morning and Solo III after lunch, or vice versa...?  (Separate
registration and tech, yes.)  Or, if a region has the staff,
it could hold two completely different events (at different
places) on the same day...that would _really_ solve the
problem of high participation without interfering with points
issues.

And the "Official Solo III Rules" could be a page and a
half in the existing Solo rule book, or just a handout.

Just a two-cent idea...not meaning to step on anyone's toes.  ;)

--
Chris Shepard
Bailey, Colorado