Re: Mac vs PC BS

To: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>,
Subject: Re: Mac vs PC BS
From: Jim Wilson <jim@jamesdwilson.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 21:51:05 -0400
Not to get technical here but I am going to do it anyway. If we are going
to beat a dead horse let's please beat the correct one. PC is a term that
is usually applied to mean Intel architecture based hardware. You can run
any of a multitude of operating systems on this hardware including the
following:

Windows 3.1, 95,98, NT 3.51, NT 4.0 and now Windows 2000
RedHat Linux
Suse Linux
(& other linux versions)
Solaris 2.5,2.6, 2.7 & 8 for x86
BeOs
SCO Unix
BSD Unix
Etc.

The Mac platform to my knowledge only runs one operating system -MacOS.
(although I believe there may be a  Linux distribution for the Mac hardware
platform). All that being said to try to compare a MacOS based machine on
Mac hardware against some version of Windows on an Intel platform is a
little like trying to put a Chevy Suburban in the same class as a BMW M3 -
you really need to compare apples against apples and you need to be
specific. Do applications work easier on a Mac than they do on a Windows
machine ? Don't know - I have used both and frankly I prefer windows. Mac
is too dumbed down for me. Want to try to get a new piece of hardware
working on Mac OS vs Windows? I think Windows is easier because I know the
OS and I know where to go to fix things if they are broken. In the MacOS I
cant even find where to go to fix the stuff.

Maybe we should run competitions for Windows machine vs Macs - each
competitor starts off with an image to modify and the first one to finish
wins. Then you have to add the machine to a network, add a new piece of
hardware, and crash and rebuild the machine from scratch. Sort of computer
autox ....

Jim Wilson