Re: Shotz's WS-6 Prep Level (was RE: Uh oh, M3s in ESP)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shotz's WS-6 Prep Level (was RE: Uh oh, M3s in ESP)
From: Matthew Carson <mcars@vt.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 18:01:37 -0400
>So I really don't care. But your campaign to target that car seems unfair.
 I was
>just calling the question as to how a nationally compeitive car can have
factory
>shocks, sway-bars and bushings in an SP class. Obviously poly bushings in
the rear
>would help the "too-much torque" problem too.

        I really have no stake in this and at this point don't really care where
the M3s are classed.  But everyone keeps talking about the "factory"
suspension and nobody seems to know what it is.  I remember seeing that the
car in question was a 1LE.  If so, the factory shocks are Koni double
adjustables.  In addition, it does have stiffer (albeit still urethane)
bushings in the control arms and transmission mounts.  The 1LE also has
slightly bigger swaybars and stiffer springs.  I don't remember for sure
(and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) that stiffer bushings
somewhere in the rear (I believe the connection from the rear end "pumpkin"
to the chassis, although that may be back from my Mustang days) will
actually contribute to a lot of axle hop and hurt handling by not allowing
lateral translation of the rear axle.  Don't know about the rear trailing
arm bushings.
        Also, FWIW late 2000 and all 2001 model LS1 F-cars have different heads
with more torque and a flatter torque curve (read more torque at low rpm).
2001 also eliminates the EGR valve by using cam overlap.  (I am not sure
why, probably to make it common with the Corvette.)  So that could be
something else to look into for the F-body ESP guys...

-Matt