FW: SP Pony Cars

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: SP Pony Cars
From: Jeff Winchell <jwinchell@Giftspot.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 20:45:17 -0700
>I know that for most Pony car fans that switching types of cars is not
>reality.

I imagine it's tough on anyone whose spent the kind of many SP owners have
to spend to build a nationally competitive car.

>For what it is worth, in my opinion there are all sorts of reasons
>why the BMW's "should not" be in with the conventional Pony Cars or with
>almost anything else except similar Mercedes, Jags, and, if they exist,
>other brands with similar credentials.

I'd love to see more classes that are built around the sort of emotional
issues like this. It makes the sport more fun.

I wish there were more classes like FS,ESP,CP where you have a fairly
homogenous group of "car identities" for want of a better word. I don't care
whether it's a ponycar (AKA dinosaur) class, a Japanese (AKA riceboy) class,
a bunch of German sedans or whatever the car world has somehow found an
identity for.

Even though the all-wheel drive DSM cars aren't part of the ponycar identity
(never thought Supras or Z cars were either), if someone wants to put them
in a class with ponycars and they don't make the existing cars
uncompetitive, I don't have a problem. But the M3 makes the existing
ponycars uncompetitive, and it will do nothing for bonding owners at
autocrosses.

Now in road racing, Solo I or open tracks, that's another story. I love
chasing (and being chased) by M3s and M3 Lightweights at local track events.
It's a fair fight. Plus I think the local BMW club does a great job of
teaching drivers... one that I try to emulate in putting on our
Mustang-dominated Shelby club events.