Re: Peru Pro

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Peru Pro
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 22:20:52 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Alan Pozner wrote:
> How do I know? Because I was involved in just such a circumstance this year.
> I went to a regional event outside my local region. I have been to events
> hosted by that club before and they were safe. I knew several of the
> organizers. When walking the course there was a section that had a chainlink
> fence within 5 feet of the pylons on the inside of a gentle 30 degree off
> camber turn. The odds were very low that anyone would come in contact with
> the fence even if they really blew the turn. But I have ended up in unlikely
> places at the end of off course excusions and felt the fence was entirely
> too close and certainly against the course guidelines.

In the case of Peru, I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't start
having real opinions on safety until after I saw Mr. Cone nearly take out
the other car and later went out and watched Mr. Popp accelerate at me
like a madman (this was quite impressive, but also a bit scary... :-)  And
after the event has started, its MUCH more difficult to make a course
change.

Also, like I mentioned in my other message, I severely doubt that course
guidelines were violated.

I still feel the appropriate thing to do with this is to chalk it up to
"that's racing" and have course designers take note for the future.

Mark

(now, the one question I DO have is if that waiver we all sign is like the
one I used to sign back when I raced bikes.  _That_ waiver said that
another competitor could be held responsible for any damages I incurred.)