Re: Scraping Synchros

To: "Scott Meyers" <solo2@uswest.net>, "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Scraping Synchros
From: "Ron N." <nottingham@alltel.net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 16:44:07 -0400
> A recently installed used 5 speed transmission (70,000 miles advertised)
> is a vast improvement over the original, but it scrapes a little going
> into third gear, up or downshifting.......sometimes. If I drive it like
> an old man and take a lot of time between gears, it rarely scrapes.
> 1-2-4-5 are all fine (87 Nissan 200SX).
>
> I put 80/90 weight tranny good quality generic fluid in it upon
> installation last week. It also mentions having a posi additive - FYI in
> case it matters.
>
> I hear from some that ATF fluid is preferred. Hmmm. Maybe.
>
> Which will help this problem more - heavier fluid, a fluid 'additive',
> or the lighter ATF fluid? Please forget expensive synthetic fluids -
> outside budget here.

Nissan TSB recommends 80w90 GL-4 or GL-5 for the 'box.  Doesn't say anything
about posi additive...  Only says Castrol Hypoid "C" or Equiv, or Castrol
Synthetic Gear Oil 75w90.  Recommends against using ATF.  BTW, sounds more
like the 3rd gear synchronizer needs replacing, I hear those go out quite
often on the 200SX V6 and NA 300ZX.

Ron N. - Dalton, Ga
84 300ZX Turbo (Thank Goodness it has a T5!)
IZCC# 4779   TLS#30