Scraping Synchros

To: "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Scraping Synchros
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 10:07:03 -0700
A recently installed used 5 speed transmission (70,000 miles advertised)
is a vast improvement over the original, but it scrapes a little going
into third gear, up or downshifting.......sometimes. If I drive it like
an old man and take a lot of time between gears, it rarely scrapes.
1-2-4-5 are all fine (87 Nissan 200SX).

I put 80/90 weight tranny good quality generic fluid in it upon
installation last week. It also mentions having a posi additive - FYI in
case it matters.

I hear from some that ATF fluid is preferred. Hmmm. Maybe.

Which will help this problem more - heavier fluid, a fluid 'additive',
or the lighter ATF fluid? Please forget expensive synthetic fluids -
outside budget here.

Thanks for any advice.

Scott Meyers
Back to changing the RX-7 clutch in the meantime -
"This is fun, this is fun..........."