Re: Stock or Modified(Street Prepared, Prepared, Mod, etc.)?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock or Modified(Street Prepared, Prepared, Mod, etc.)?
From: Paul and Meredith Brown <racers@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 22:20:27 -0700
One point I haven't seen anyone make is that most modified (small "m")
vehicles are works-in-progress.  While this is somewhat true of Stock
vehicles, it is generally less so.  So a learning driver will (hopefully)
spend more time working on driving and less time working on the car.  Even
if that driver has plenty of time, presumably the Stock vehicle will be
more consistent from week to week, and will therefore be a better learning
platform.  There are also some reasonable arguments about better
reliability in Stock classes that would be somewhat dangerous
generalizations....

Some of this would not be true if the learning driver bought a top-level
non-Stock vehicle.  Dealing with vehicle compromises may make learning more
difficult, which is to say that driving a Stock vehicle may require a more
advanced skill level than driving a car that really works well (easy for me
to say;  I've spent my entire career in Stock!)  How about "a different set
of skills";  yeah, that's a less controversial way to say it.  But
sometimes maintaining such a beast in top form can be too much of a
challenge too....

Paul and Meredith Brown

MR2:  "Not the easiest car in the world to work on"