FWD-Toe out, or in for rear?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: FWD-Toe out, or in for rear?
From: BSHolden@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 22:05:13 EDT
Ok Team.net'rs: What are the preferred toe settings for the rear axle on a
FWD (Omni in DSP).
I am currently set up for toe out on the rear axle. This because I wanted the
butt to "steer out" when cornering, as my rear inside tire is often off the
ground; with the result that only the outside rear tire is "guiding" the rear
around a corner. In effect canceling out the inherent understeer so common to
Fwd's.
    But due to last weekends results at a regional event (I was bettered by a
Miata, of all things!:-) I am starting to think(?) that _toe-in_ at the rear
is the way to go. Reasoning that I want that outside rear tire to "steer" the
butt to the inside of the corner.
    There are issues of understeer vs oversteer here, I know. And a fine line
it is to be walked.
    But with my current settings, I can fine tune oversteer/understeer
characteristics with just a few pounds of tire pressure adjustment at the
rear.
    So whadaya think?

Toe in, or out, for the rear?

BS Holden