re: FWD-Toe out, or in for rear?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: FWD-Toe out, or in for rear?
From: Gemery@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 15:21:16 EDT
>What are the preferred toe settings for the rear axle on a FWD
>(Omni in DSP). I am currently set up for toe out on the rear axle.
>This because I wanted the butt to "steer out" when cornering, as my
>rear inside tire is often off the ground; with the result that only the
>outside rear tire is "guiding" the rear around a corner.

A friend of mine (John Spiva) is running a similar configuration in a
CSP Shelby GLHS that I've driven on numerous occasions.  It works
quite well, but to my tastes he should increase the front swaybar or
spring rate to hold the rear wheel down as it is prone to snap spins
if you don't anticipate them... there's no forgiveness with the
current setup, unlike other hot fwd cars I've tried.  On the other hand,
the Omni/Horizon chassis seems to flex around the doors, so it may
not be possible to prevent the wheel from lifting without drastic
measures like a rollcage.

George "more at home with rwd" Emery
gemery@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/gemery