Re: Why smaller pulley?

To: "Deanne" <deanne@surfree.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Why smaller pulley?
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 19:37:36 -0500
>Why do I need the smaller pulley?  It gave me about a 35-40% increase in
>boost and I really like it!  Does that mean I should really be in EM.....I
>don't know.

No offense, but yes, it does.  Your arguments are the typical 'I' class
desire.
The single most common modification to a turbocharged car is to up the
boost.  Instant EM car.....is it fair?  You bet.  There is no way for the
SEB, SCAC, SPAC etc to make a class structure that would work and allows
for Stock Cars, Cars that are stock with very few mods, Cars that are
stock with a little more mods,  Cars that are stock with a LOT of mods,
Cars that are gutted...blah blah..you get the point.

My Mr2 Turbo stood pretty much no chance in ASP without some kind of
boost modification.  I soldiered through last year with it and won the
region
and division.  Anything beyond, and I got squashed very quickly (nothing
like
watching your competition roll off the trailer when you drove 1500 miles to
the event).  So, I retired the Turbo, put the boost controller on and enjoy
it on the street.  I still autox it occasionally, but I realize that it's
just for fun
anymore in that car.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear...but the boost rule is there for a
reason.
Boost mods are almost impossible to police, and the gains from each one will
be different and would make a classing nightmare.  Unless your region has
some
kind of Novice program or Street Mod class, you're stuck in EM unless you
lose
the pulley.  If you really want to win, you'll either need to go crazy on
the car
(something I doubt you'll do considering the lengths required to be EM
competitive),
take off the pulley, or get a beater autox car.

David Hawkins
93 MR2 Turbo ASP retired...now EM
85 MR2 CSP/ITA