Re: Lug Nuts and such

To: "Tim Malzahn" <tmalzahn@tnmnetworks.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lug Nuts and such
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 23:13:07 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Malzahn <tmalzahn@tnmnetworks.com>
To: autox@autox.team.net <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Sunday, April 25, 1999 10:06 PM
Subject: Lug Nuts and such

>When I was changing the tires back to the streets, I could not get one of
the right front lug nuts loose. So I did not change one of the tires for the
trip back home. When I got home, I ended up shearing off the wheel stud
trying to remove the lug nut.

>I think what may have happened is when I was torquing the nuts down this
morning, I weakened one of the studs enough so that it actually broke
sometime in competition during the day (last run.)

It's also possible you cross-threaded the lug nut while you were changing
tires.  Even when you swear you've been *really* careful, it happens
sometimes.

Properly torquing the lug nuts down shouldn't weaken the studs.  The only
evidence I can claim is years of changing tires two or three weekends a
month using this method -- the only wheel stud failures I've ever had were
due to cross-threaded lug nuts.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing