Re: FW: The tire thing^n and personal responsibility

To: Josh Sirota <jss@marimba.com>
Subject: Re: FW: The tire thing^n and personal responsibility
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 09:02:03 -0700
There continue to be errors of fact in this thread that I believe need
to be cleared up:

1. The "Salina compound" tire that BFG had at Nationals in 1989 was not
a 22x, it was a 206. And they didn't change the tire designation, they
just molded some of the same tires with an even softer compound.

2. The 22x series - the first beiing the 224 - was debuted in Showroom
Stock in 1992, and I believe the first event was the Runoffs, although
I'm not sure. This tire WAS a new model at that time, and it was NOT
legal in Solo II in 1992. The 224 was sold in one compound only (road
race) through 1993, and it was legal in Solo II that year. There was no
autox compound, however. The 204/206 tire continued to be available that
year.

3. The 226 autox compound was introduced in 1994, and the casing design
of both tires was revised. It was intro'ed early enough in enough sizes
to be legal for Solo II that year.

4. The 226 was discontinued in 1996, and the remaining tire was
designated 230.

I'm speaking of general availability when I say "introduced." There may
well have been contract drivers who tested the tires earlier than they
were generally sold. In any case, the above is, I beleive, a reasonably
correct chronology of the evolution of BFG tire models.

Jay