Re: was: new Poll, now: right springs?

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>, <neon@iastate.edu>
Subject: Re: was: new Poll, now: right springs?
From: Jason Bowles <jbowles@carol.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:31:03 -0400

>AUTOX LIST:  I was actually able to get my R/T up onto three wheels many
>times this past weekend during a McKamey Phase autocross school.  One of
>my instructors, Brian Priebe, said that my suspension springs felt weak
>and my steering wheel didn't feel like the 16:1 rack that R/Ts and ACRs
>are supposed to come with.  Any idea how to verify whether or not I have
>the 16:1 ratio steering rack?  How about the coil springs?  How can I
>verify that they are the correct ones?

Check the part numbers on the rack and the springs, they will be stickers
on there, your car is new enough that they are still readable, I could read
my springs off my 96.

The should say SDE on them. Or even SDK same springs..if they say SDC they
are the 140 fronts, rears are the same. You will not notice 10 lbs/in tho.

>I think (I know, it's a dangerous thing) that I remember reading that
>the Neon springs are not identical for each front end strut.  (Or even
>the rears for that matter.)  Something about DC using slightly different
>spring heights to "corner weight"(?) the different Neons equipped with
>varying amounts of heavy optional equipment that would require different
>spring heights to keep the car level at each corner.

They are spring height not lbs/in rate. they are still 150/120 just their
free length is longer or shorter so all neons have the same ride level /
ground clearance.

>Can I (stock class) legally replace the coil springs with factory
>springs with the same 150/front and 120/rear pound per inch rates?

You can with the SAME part number, no you cant buy the mopar ones in that
rate which are the shortest free height available.

Jason
whose tag lines arent longer than the emails.