RE: Texas NT & the SO class

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>, "Team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Texas NT & the SO class
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:50:39 -0500
Katie,

I've missed most of this discussion...  could you clarify?  Is there going
to be one big "SO" class, or one for each of the existing classes?

If the point is to let an "SO" run in an event without the pressure of the
regular open class, couldn't they join the other novices?

In a way though what you're proposing sounds like Texas Region's "Vintage
Class".  Basically it's restricted to cars 20 years or older, ideally
prepped like they'd have run as new.  No restrictions on prep level or
driver experience or GENDER.  I ran 4 years ago in a tired '63 Mini Cooper
(50 hp!  Yahooooo!).  Most events I ran against a fairly good TR6 driver.
Some events I ran against a prepped Datsun 240Z.  Sometimes I was the only
one in class.  One event I got to show a repli-cobra how to chase cones
properly.  :-)

It gave me a place to play without having to spend all my spare time and $$
on the car (I bought my house that year).  So it was a chance to actually
enjoy an autocross event in a car that I enjoyed driving.  Without needing
crash bolts ;-)

It's a region only class so it's not a "stepping stone" to serious national
level competition.  But it's a chance to go out and chase cones without the
ulcers.

Wouldn't that format work for your proposal?

JMO

Jim