Re: Hype R kickin Class

To: eric10mm@qni.com
Subject: Re: Hype R kickin Class
From: Heyward K Wagner <sportscar48@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:46:26 EST
>Before we try to prove that a Neon is a better
>race car that a Type R maybe we should try to get a Neon to go 100,000
on
>one head gasket.  What is a better race car?  That remains to be seen.
>What will still be running in 10 years and 175,000 miles? Survey
says....
=======================
Irrelevant points on the race track (and autocross course for the Neons)
as
the Neon as well as the Type Rs have both proven themselves to be capable
of
winning.

I believe it to not be an irrelevant point.  Take for example the 1988
runoffs.  SSB was dominated by the Pugoet (sp?) 505, while SSC was
dominated by the VW GTI.  The GTI ten years later is a strong ITB car and
a good ES and DSP car.  The 505 however is no longer doing anything.
Why?  Because the 505 was a born lemon that could stay together for a
race season or two, but had no longevity.  The GTI however was a much
more reliable street and race car and thus ten years later a better race
car.  Point being that we tend to value cars such as the GTI, the CRX and
the 2002 which run forever, while we tend to leave the Pinto, 505 and
Pacer to their true calling, the production of rust.

The only question that remains is how long will it take for the Neon
distinguish itself.

hKw