Re: Course designs and looking ahead

To: Rm84fm@aol.com
Subject: Re: Course designs and looking ahead
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 20:27:41 -0600
Rm84fm@aol.com wrote:

> Interesting subject, course design and memory.  One of the thinks I learned
> from the McKamey school was looking ahead - I mean LOOKING AHEAD!!  They
> emphasized looking ahead as far as you can see; not just at the gate you're
> going into, but a turn ahead - maybe two; turning your head all the way over
> your shoulder to pick up the next gate; etc.  The second day, we ran courses
> we didn't get a chance to walk, memorize, nor pick the "right" line.  I heard
> one person say that as practice in looking  ahead, they'd run the local events
> without walking the course.  It seems like maybe memorizing the course doesn't
> play much of a part in being competitive.   Just a thought...

You make very good point.  I agree whole-heartedly on your emphasis that
looking up is most certainly a powerful skill.  Again, these two skills
are not mutually exclusive. I know I can drive a course without having
walked it.  It may take two runs to get up to speed though.  Now I have
one or two runs left to nail a good time.  If I walk and memorize it
very carefully, I can be faster right out of the box, giving me more
opportunities to nail a faster run.

I think that the looking up thing help your hand/ eye coordination and
helps you in the actual execution of your run.  Neither of these skills
should replace the other.  Having fully memorized the course will only
make you more confident, and will help see through some of those visual
illusions that sometimes appear in the cones.  It's a technique, like
lots of techniques, that doesn't always work for everyone.  I find it
helpful myself.  Go with what works the best I say, there is no right or
wrong way.
--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese