RE: Rabid Rulebook Lawyers?

To: "Matt Murray" <mattm@nassau.cv.net>, "washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Subject: RE: Rabid Rulebook Lawyers?
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:28:05 -0800
> I think everyone is pretty friendly at most events, large and
> small. It is once you turn the key, that people's competitive edge comes
> out (pun intended). It's really the National events, where money or
> contingency products are involved, that questions about mirrors, speaker
> covers, and how you measure  a 1/4" spacer can create a problem
> (previous T.N threads).

There's something else going on, too; this forum is used to float balloons
at times.  How the rules *will* be interpreted (or at least people's best
guesses) helps determine how the car may be prepared.

Simple example:  in Stock class, can I use remote reservoir shocks?  My take
might (would, actually) be that the shocks are ok, but I'd better not cut
any holes or affix the reservoirs to anything other than the shock bodies
themselves.

Now, based on clearance and some other things, I might decide that I can't
fit remote reservoir shocks on my car, and install other, less effective
shocks.

If I then find that someone is allowed to cut a hole directly above the
shock tower to adjust *their* shocks - well, hey, the world just shifted
abruptly.  Those double-adjustables would adjust in exactly the same way, so
*I* can cut a hole, and incidentally; I can now run the reservoirs into the
body of the car - legally.

So a rather minor, "comfort and convenience" issue ruled on a certain way
for a driver in a completely different car and class than mine just changed
what I need to do to be most competitive - potentially to the tune of
thousands of dollars in added cost.  If you don't like that scenario, there
are plenty of others to choose from.

It behooves us to pay attention to these discussions, tedious though they
can sometimes become.

KeS