Re: Rabid Rulebook Lawyers?

To: joshlocklear@juno.com
Subject: Re: Rabid Rulebook Lawyers?
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 22:53:42 -0600
joshlocklear@juno.com wrote:

> As I read all of these messages, I am amazed that there are actually
> people who protest this sort of thing.  I'm a rookie auto-xer with Ohio
> Valley Region, and all of our events are pretty laid back.  As a novice,
> this rulebook lawyer thing scares me, and I'd like to think that these
> people don't make up a large percentage of us.  It's all about having
> fun, right?  I autocross for fun, not for bloodthirsty competition.  I'm
> not good; if i don't win, I accept that, and I move on.  Shouldn't we all
> do the same?  If I decide to attend a CenDiv divisional, will I be
> attacked by rabid rulebook lawyers citing passages of the rulebook that I
> don't even know about?  What's it really like?  Some opinion on the
> "atmosphere" at the different levels of competition would be
> appreciated...

Hey, alright!  Josh #3!  I know what you mean, having gone through a
similar phase myself not too long ago.  Before attending my first
National Tour event last year, I worried a great deal about the little
nitpicky things.  I didn't have a factory manual for my Audi, and I
worried about this too.  (Thankfully, I wasn't fast enough for it to
matter.)  Keep in mind I don't think anyone actually said they would
protest this mirror item (take all the freakin' things off for all I
care) but it is healthy to discuss your vulnerability with regards the
rules if you are in doubt.

It's a two sided coin IMHO.  Most folks I have met are very reasonable,
and have absolutely no desire to get involved with this sort of thing.
They are pretty laid back and are there to have fun too.  Having said
that, I will admit to having met some people on the opposite end of that
spectrum.  When you go to a Pro or a Tour, don't expect a welcoming
committee either.  Once you start to meet people, you realize they are
nice folks, but there is no welcome wagon in my experience.  This is the
top level of our sport and lots of people are there to win, not just
have fun.  Keep in mind that the protest system exists for your benefit
as well....no one likes those types who will cheat at the first
opportunity if given the chance.  This system keeps the game fair for
everyone.

I've never seen a protest at the local level.  Ones I've heard of were
just feuding people who used the protest system in their own selfish way
to attack someone they disliked.  This can happen at the National level
too I would imagine.  We all come from the same stock as you as far as
having fun.  At the National level people usually have some monetary
investment involved, and whenever you get a bunch of competitive people
together it is natural to expect that these folks all want to make sure
that everyone else is playing by the rules.  No different than any other
sport.  That's why team.net tends to sometimes get (ahem) a little
caught up in the minute details.  It's more theory discussion than
anything.  Besides, all I see is frozen tundra around me, and we need
something to do!

I say don't worry about it.  Give a big event a try, it's a blast and
you will learn a great deal when you see the big dogs run.  Your right
that you will not be bothered if you don't place highly, but you should
really make sure you are legal anyway. (Not implying that you are
not...just making a point) :) To me it's an honesty thing.  If your not
sure, get a rule book and study up.  It is our obligation as competitors
to make sure we are legal.  Sorry I got a little long winded, but I
related to your note.  Good luck and don't ever forget to have fun, no
matter where you run!
--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese