Re: removeable Rearview

To: TeamZ3@aol.com
Subject: Re: removeable Rearview
From: Josh Sirota <jss@marimba.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:48:57 -0800
TeamZ3@aol.com wrote:
> > Yea laugh if you want to but after 2 years of owning my Z3 when
> >  installing the in car cam for McCamey I noticed Hey my Rearview mirror
> >  has a release latch, It is designed to be removed and put back on with a
> >  click, So I know I am not allowed to remove any parts off a stock car
> >  that are held on with screw fasteners, But I thought it was legal to
> >  remove things that were designed to be readaly removed. eg.  fastened
> >  Floor mats, T tops, etc etc,  I know this is silly but is this weenie
> >  protest bait? to remove the mirror?
>
> Just undo it and keep it in the car.

Despite the fact that my M Coupe has the same kind of latch, and has a
mirror about 50% bigger than yours and is an absolute accident waiting
to happen when driving on the street (can you say "blind spot?"), I very
strongly believe that this is illegal when racing.  It's would be a
*huge* competitive advantage to remove the mirror in these cars, since
it has such a major impact on visibility.
While it is clearly removeable and replaceable, the owner's manual makes
no mention of doing such a thing.

Was there a recent clarification about this?

Josh