Brake fluid and Mityvac

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake fluid and Mityvac
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:10:22 CST
I've a few questions to perpetuate the brake fluid/bleeding thread.

We've read that Castrol LMA is cheap and good, and you can get Ford HD
anywhere in the U.S., but I've just read about Castrol SRF on their web site
(http://www.castrol.com/)  and it sounds like the best thing to happen to
brakes since the disc.  What's the down side?  I haven't found source and
price for these fluids yet - would I be right in assuming that SRF is so
expensive its not worth it?  Is there a cheap source for LMA and/or
SRF, or do the common auto stores stock it?

Also, I've pretty much settled on getting a Mityvac bleeding kit, since I
need to maintain three different cars, and maybe others.  The only concern
I've heard is that you might need to use thread sealer on the bleeder
screws to prevent air from drawing past the threads.  That stuff is available
from the SpeedBleeder guys, so I think I can handle that.  If anyone thinks
this would be a mistake, now's your chance to talk me out of it.  :^)

Thanks in advance,
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                           Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                                ITDS - TRIS