Re: Jeff Gordon

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: Jeff Gordon
From: Buddy Ahlers <buddy_ahlers@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 12:06:16 -0800 (PST)

---"Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> > Yeah Ok. But is it a good example? I don't think so. Dale could'nt
leave
> > his
> > mark
> > on Daytona any other way. In my eyes it was a cheap shot!!!!!!!!!!!!
The race itself was as great a mark as anyone could have left on
Daytona.  Very exciting right down to the wire.  Besides, Earnhardt
left the mark on Gordon's door, not on Daytona!  :-)
That rub at the end of the race was nothing more than a rub to say
nice going...great job, Be glad I didn't put you in the wall, cause I
could have.  Earnhardt showed ultimate respect for Gordon by not
putting him in the wall on the last lap to take the win...He was close
enough to give him a nudge and come away with 500 victory number two,
but that's not the way he wants to win.  Now had Rusty been in
Earnhardt's position at the same time in the race... ;-)

> Maybe.  What was definately a cheap shot was when Earnhardt (sp?) was
> being interviewd on Speedvision (I think.  Might've been ESPN.  It
was the
> one where he was there all week.)
>
> They asked him what he thought various drivers.  His response to
Gordon
> was "He's got a lot of money".  After being asked for his serious
> response, he again said "He's got a lot of money."
>
> I lost any respect for him right there.  I dunno much about how
Gordon got
> to where he is (didn't daddy buy him rides?), but there's no
questioning
> that he's at the top of the Nascar game when it comes to driving.
>
> Mark

There is no denying it...Jeff Gordon does have A LOT of money.  He
isn't good 'cause daddy bought him a rainbow colored car.  He's good
because he is never off the track.  That guy practices more than any
other driver I have ever seen.  While in the pits at Pocono last year
during one of the open practice rounds (press passes are a beautiful
thing!)  Gordon was on the track the second they would allow him, and
not off until the very last second.  Other drivers only spent a few
laps on the track, but Gordon's a perfectionist...never
satisfied...that is a great quality to have as long as you can afford
to play as hard as he does.