Re: A Different D/E Mod Approach

To: <Gemery@aol.com>
Subject: Re: A Different D/E Mod Approach
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 05:18:54 -0600
George

> My response (read _thoughtfully_ now!) was "Regardless of
> the weight, in a class that allows unlimited engine swaps, why
> would you ever expect a normally aspirated 2.3 motor to be
> competitive?"
>
> In other words: suppose the weight of EM was 2000 lbs, a weight
> you've already met, why would you expect your 2.3 liter motor to be
> competitive against the allowed V-8s or rotaries or turbos which
> are still putting out the same 300+ HP vs. your 225 HP?  Or are
> you planning on setting the limit at 2.3 liters and no turbos and
> no rotaries?
>
> The picture I still see is you won't be competitive in the "proposed"
> class, you're unwilling to prepare your car to the best potential in
> AP (e.g. ditch the quad4 and put in a 2.5 liter as most people
> would or at least change your gearing), and you feel those damn
> Loti are to blame.  _That_ smells like I-stock.

I expect the Q4 to be competitive against up to 3.0 liter anything,
certainly against the 2.5L in any state of build or tune. I ask you,
the expert - - like the cliche - - have you driven a Quad 4 powered
Fiero lately? I really don't think you have a clue what you are
talking about when discussing this powerplant. And lack of any
knowledge about available gearing in FWD cars (which the Fiero
has, only backwards) is apparant.

The Q4 is a far more capable engine in it's STOCK  version (HO)
than most_maxed out_2.5 Iron Dukes, and a worked Q4 has
proven itself in Achievas in the early 90's road racing circuit.
The engine still continues to show it's stuff in outlaw sprint cars,
and currently are showing up in more and more Formula 2000s
in a de-stroked version. The dirt guys are discovering this engine,
and there is a small displacement dragster or 2 out there with
the Q4.

I was running a barely more than stock engine for the past
few years, and although scarcely past the rookie stage of driving
(at age 55, I might add) was having a heap of fun with the car.
Far more accomplished drivers than I were able to make the car
look really good in that condition, FTD, etc..Given a few more
years, with a lot better driving skills, I could have finished
- - oh, maybe mid-pack in AP with a relatively stock quad 4.

This off season I had the engine worked to it's max potential
within the rules. (Those were the figures you saw, except it is
248hp and 229ftlbs of torque on the dyno, we are still working
the motor on the dyno to improve that) The absolutely only
difference between my engine and the Achieva's is about 20hp
less, and about 20ft lbs more torque. With those numbers, maybe,
just maybe, an accomplished driver could move from mid pack to
possibly a high trophy position, but I doubt ever would it be capable
of being a championship car under current classing. I don't see the
RX-7s in AP ever winning, either. Maybe one or two Z's, on the
right course might have a chance, but I doubt they could find a
course that would penalize both the Lotii and the V8s.

It is a classing thing, and the defense that the times are relative
could be used to move the Lotus to EP against Thomas. But would
we ever hear screaming if the Lotii were put up against a car with
relatively the same weight and power, because it had better times
at Nationals than the Lotii last year. ( of course, that ain't an "I"
class argument, either).

Does my car fit the A Prepared mold. NO!! It has a hybrid motor -
with far more potential than it's larger stock brother, and engine
swaps should not be allowed in Prepared, IMHO. But it is legally
classed there. The entire AP structure is way out of whack. Period.
Argue with whatever debating skills you have, the entire class would
still be structured wrong.

I have voiced two separate trains of thought in recent posts. You
seem to be trying to run both of those together. In neither case am
I trying for an "I" class. The first thought was, as voiced above, the
Lotii does not belong in the same class as the rotaries, Fieros, and
Z cars. I earlier included the TVRs, but concede they do belong.
This was the old FP structure (except I still don't believe the V8s
belonged in FP either. I think they should be with brethren in BP or
CP with weight adjustments).

My second train of thought is (in conjunction with several others)
another heavier D/E Mod class should be built (as an alternative to
increasing weight in existing mod classes) to accomodate the likes
of kit cars, V8 powered Z cars (Scarabs), and I took the liberty of
including Corvairs. And, yes, my car would fit in.

Your flaming dialogue still did not address the 2700lb basically stock
302 powered Cobra kit car that has to compete against Formula
Atlantics under the current rules (as the Cobra kit owner in Wichita
has had to stomach - - is he still coming out, I wonder?).

George, do you not admit that my car should be classed in a mod
class rather than Prepared because of the engine swap? Whether or
not you think my engine choice was a good one, my car should be
a Mod - - - don't you think?

Please note I did not campaign the Fiero at Nationals last year in
AP, where the SCCA has classed it and to which rules the car is
built. I have given thought to playing in E-Mod, but would do so
at this weight rather than cut up the space frame chassis in favor of
a tube frame. Yes, this is my choice. and mine alone.

No matter where I run it (again, the choice is mine, you know), I will
enjoy the car and the engine you denounce. I am in this sport
for grins and giggles.The only vicarious pleasure I get from this
sport is watching and cheering my son, who doesn't have a dog
in this fight - he is in ESP/FS - and who got us started driving in
autocross.

I can have equal fun in E-Mod (been there, done that, may do that
again this year), AP, or G-Stock (in my Probe GT). What car I
choose to drive in which class is not the topics of discussion here.
The classing structure in AP, and the heavier mod class (both
separate topics) are.

Please be advised I can voice my opinions about these topics
without having to take flak from you and others about my wanting
an "I" class or snide comments about whining. Or derision about
my car or engine choices.

So far nobody has been able to convince me that there is current
equity in the AP classing structure, or that there is not a need for
a heavier mod class ( again, both separate topics).

Even with smoking flame throwers in hand.