RE: Gearing, again

To: C Modified <autox-cm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gearing, again
From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@netins.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:33:38 -0500
I don't think I have ever broken anything on a downshift.  I don't use the
clutch for them either.  I have seen breakage at launch, when upshifting,
and also during acceleration without shifting.  The breakage does appear to
be somewhat age related, adding credence to the belief that the fatigue
problem is cumulative.

I have been told that many gears will show fatigue cracks when magnifluxed
long before they finally break so who knows what is the real cause of the
problem.  Probably a little bit of everything.  The amazing thing is how
few of those scrawny little dog rings get broken.  I have never had one
break, just replaced when the dogs get rounded.

Greg

PS  I have noticed that the gears seem to break either when Kiersten is
driving, or after she has driven, so it must be a co-driver problem. :-)