Re: Gearing, again

To: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>, C Modified <autox-cm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearing, again
From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@netins.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:41:51 -0500
Just a few comments since I have traditionally busted at least one gear a
year since I increased the torque from my motor (2000cc supervee).  This
includes 2 CWPs, several integral firsts, and a new transmission case.  I
would guess that my VW has more torque than most FF motor.  The Ralt has a
Mk9 that uses the same gears that most older Fords use.  The last time I
broke the CWP, I went to a 7/31 that allowed me to go to stronger first and
second gears.  If you replace the Ring and Pinion, I would strongly
recommend this approach.  My current gears are:

16/35 integral (59 mph)
18/33                (71 MPH)
19/31               (80 MPH)
22/30               (95 MPH)

FWIW, Kiersten and I do not use the clutch except to launch and ease up on
the throttle as little as needed to shift without the clutch.  My opinion
is that the launch should be done with some clutch slippage to reduce shock

I also feel that much of the gear breakage is due to wheel spin when the
car gets light on bumps and then slams back down on the surface.  Topeka
and Peru are where almost all of my breakage has occurred.  They are high
traction bumpy surfaces.

Again, IMHO.

Greg Scharnberg
Ralt RT5 - Mk9