Re: Gearing, again

To: "Sam & Greg Scharnberg" <samandgreg@netins.net>,
Subject: Re: Gearing, again
From: "Josh Sirota" <josh@sirota.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:53:56 -0700
> I also feel that much of the gear breakage is due to wheel spin when the
> car gets light on bumps and then slams back down on the surface.  Topeka
> and Peru are where almost all of my breakage has occurred.  They are high
> traction bumpy surfaces.

That makes sense.  But on the other hand, when I broke my 16:36 second gear
years back in San Diego in a torrential downpour, it was neither
high-traction nor bumpy!  So I think if they're going to break, they'll
break.

I don't understand why gear load would be lower when shifting without the
clutch.  Can someone explain that to me?

Josh
(no FF since 1997)