TECH TIP

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: TECH TIP
From: "Chuck Nicodemus" <armorseal@spiretech.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:44:24 -0700
While wire wheel inspecting on my series ll last week , I discovered that the
cross over tube or in SS catalog the "Alpine Center Cross Tube"  # 2 noted.
The bushings were shot,, I queried about parts to no means. Except the
bushings,, were available as noted in the catalog. 26 bucks plus shipping.

Unless you have removed the tube mount bolts to clean and grease recently, 40+
years is a long time for a bolt to be in a tapered hole.

My problem was removing said bolt. There is no way unless you remove the
engine to get to the bolt and press out. I tried my forks and would not budge
the parts.

If you look at the top of these you will see the flat washer with a small
dimple in the center holding the tube in place. I ground off the dimple top,
leaving the center mark,  pried off the washer, then removed the tube for
clean up. Then using a flat file, I cleaned the old rubber from around the
stud, also used a burr grinder to reach the sides and bottom flange of the
pitmen and idler arms. Then I drilled for a 3/16" hole in the top of the
bolts for a 1/4" x 28 tap x 1/2"  deep.

I used a steel burr  to grind out the old bushings. Then using a piece of
sanding cloth on a split rod to clean the inside of the bushing mounts,,,
remember the removal of the internal steel bush remainder as per instructions.
NOTE grind and smoothen this internal area, it is the bushing mount.

 For the installation of the new bushings, read the instructions very close,
and a vise is needed for this part. An extra hand is helpful. Use all the
grease you can (provided), I found when the bushing looks like it is going to
blow out use a pliers to squeeze the sides it will pop right in.

Then I found some large washers and installed the tube on to the posts and
bolted into place. Loc tite and about 10-15 pds of torque.

Actual time was about three hours and special tools.

    I had to have an extension for my drill, Home Depot has extensions for the
hex head drills used the popular battery powered tools and a package of drills
made for them. Get the 1/16" to 1/4 " package. About 35-40 bucks and some
cussing. And badgering from the wife.

Good luck from the Pumpkin and solid steering.
Chuck Nicodemus