Re: Drilling hole in tempered glass?

To: Sunbeam Alpines <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Drilling hole in tempered glass?
From: Jerome Yuzyk <jerome@supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 00:01:25 -0600
On Monday 01 September 2003 11:12 pm, lauri lehtinen wrote:
> Problem in water cut is to get the first penetration.
> If you use abrasive paste it spreads anywhere until the real cut starts
> - and spoils the machine.
> Mostly glass shops can do miracles. In case they are used to handle
> problems which are common. I do doubt if Californian shops can handle
> with temperature problems which are so common in Canada and in
> Scandinavia. (Windshields crack at the bottom, where heated air meets
> the ice-covered windshield. A small hole must be drillet to the end of a
> crack, so it stops...).
>
> I think cutting glass in not a problem.
> Real problem is to transfer technology. It may kill us.
>
> (we are lying in a desert and can not drink Alpine's cooling water
> because we can not purify it with the mostly universal technological
> invention - womens4s tights)
> In worst case we have not even the woman.
>
> Well, if water and women can not be found, we can be still delighted,
> because desert we have enough.
>
> Larry
> mexican correspond in la deserta finlandesa

Speaking of water... after a quick Google on "drilling tempered glass",
this seems to be a FAQ for aquarium hobbyists, and the consensus is NO!
But read for yourself:

The Google search:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22drilling+tempered+glass%22&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

A good explanation of why you can't (or shouldn't):
http://freshaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fnucalf.physics.fsu.edu%2Fpfohl%2FFish%2FDiy%2Fdrilling

And a decent description of drilling glass in general:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fnucalf.physics.fsu.edu%2Fpfohl%2FFish%2FDiy%2Fglassdrilling

Larry: You need to get out more - women in the desert don't wear tights. :)

=              J e r o m e   Y u z y k | jerome@supernet.ab.ca
=    Sunbeam Alpine Series II #9118636 | www.bss.ab.ca/sunbeam