Re: Help me decide!!

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help me decide!!
From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand Ritchie)
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 13:03:35 -0800
 Paul,
I have had both chrome and painted wire wheels in the past and I can tell
you my opinion.  The chromes look great but are a pain to keep clean, they
seem to attract dirt like a magnet.  The painted ones always seem to look
good, even when there a little dirty you don't notice it as much.
I also had a problem years ago with the chrome wires on my Triumph Stag.
The spokes them selves were very brittle and I found one of them broken
(snapped in the middle like a pretzel) after a trip through the car wash.
I always thought that the brittleness was from the chroming process but I'm
not sure on that.

regards
Armand

>List,
>I just received a nice Christmas award gift ($$$$) and would like to put
>it into my Series 3 estoration before he wife gets wind of it.  I need you
>guys to help me decide on something.
>
>I am going to buy new wire wheels from British Wire Wheel with this cash.
>The question is should I buy regular wire and paint them or go with all
>chrome?
>I have been researching powder colors for months and cannot get an exact
>match.  I did however come very close to the original sample from Ian and
>Company. (just a shade darker)  Custom matching the powder is going to be
>too expensive so that's not an option.  Also, regular paint is not an
>option as I'm addicted to powders durability and connot get myself to use
>liquid paint.  Unless you can talk me into it.
>I attended the British Conclave in Denver last summer and looked at
>hundreds of british cars with wire wheels and chrome knock-offs.  I looked
>at many with chrome wires and many more with paint.  I must admit, the
>chrome looked better to me.  Although I was leaning to keep the original
>period look, I walked away confused and wanting Chrome!
>BTW, my 3 eared knock-off's are already back from the chrome shop and look
>FANTASTIC!!  Better than factory!!
>
>Help me!
>Paul
>Colorado
>Series 3 GT (waiting on body paint and still throwing "stupid" money at
>it)    :)

ritchie@mcn.org
Armand Ritchie