[6pack] Floating ground

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Floating ground
From: "Hunter, Darcy" <Darcy_Hunter@Instron.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 08:50:38 -0500
Re: [6pack] Proper grounding

My understanding it that the battery should be grounded at the bell housing but
also to the firewall via a bolt that is on the firewall just behind the
accelerator pedal shaft. Looks like it should be a braided cable with a metal
clamp on the cable partway between the battery and the bell housing.
The firewall bolt goes through the clamp and into the firewall. I plan on
taking extra care to ensure there is no dirt or paint between the clamp and
firewall. I've heard someone say the path is battery to bell housing back up to
the firewall. Doesn't seems as logical but that no indicator of how it
would have been originally engineered.

Darcy

Just an update on obtaining the proper TR6 ground

Received part #T56 from TRF and it looks good.  It is a bare braided 22" long.
14 inches from the terminal connector is a metal connector that is clamped
around the braided cable which is where you would bolt through to attach to the
firewall before going on to the engine.  I was at Brits Bits
earlier this week and saw 2 TR6s, one had the correct cable, the other was
missing the correct cable and incorrectly grounded like mine.  I suspect there
will be an issue with dirt getting imbedded in the cable but I do plan on
spraying on some type of anti-corrosive.  Cable cost about $27.

Darcy Hunter

'73 TR6

North Easton, MA